We have an exciting new opportunity at RESCUE in Sweden for a Communications and PR Manager to join us as we are expanding our presence in Sweden and building our brand and awareness.
- Employment: Full time
- Placement: Stockholm
- Deadline: March 14th
- Interviews will take place the week commencing 22nd March.
- Send in your application here.
Over the past 80 years, the International Rescue Committee (RESCUE) has developed unparalleled expertise in responding to emergencies and helping uprooted communities to rebuild. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, RESCUE offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster.
RESCUE is committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships and, most crucially, accountability to those we serve. RESCUE is a tireless advocate for the most vulnerable.
The International Rescue Committee in Sweden (RESCUE) is part of the global network, which has its headquarters in New York and is one of five entities in Europe. RESCUE is on the ground in more than 40 countries, providing emergency relief, relocating refugees and rebuilding lives in the wake of disaster.
RESCUE was established in Sweden in 2019 to support the organisation’s global activities, build engagement in Sweden for vulnerable populations, and increase and diversify private funding. RESCUE have partnered with SIDA through the UK entity since 2018. Since its start RESCUE has grown rapidly with communications and private fundraising activities and enhanced SIDA relations, and currently comprises a team of seven in Sweden.
The External Relations (ER) department comprises the complementary functions: Private fundraising, Mobilization & Marketing, Policy & Advocacy and Operations & Analytics. To enable us to deliver our Strategy100 commitments, the ER department established a bold new approach that enhances our ability to raise diverse and flexible funding aligned with RESCUE’s top priorities, while raising our profile and influence. The ER team is international, with colleagues in more than 10 offices globally.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
In this role you will work with global and Swedish teams to raise RESCUE’s profile through PR strategies that generate media coverage and visibility to key audiences. You will partner with the Fundraising colleagues in Sweden as well as global Policy and Advocacy team and colleagues. You will develop key messaging stretching from issues and products regarding Sweden humanitarian/development issues and debates, as well as proactively placing brand strengthening material to support brand and profile to support fundraising and highlighting corporate partnerships.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Reports to Executive Director RESCUE Sweden and the Director of Public affairs via management in partnership.
- Engages closely with the digital communications manager in Sweden.
- Collaborates with Sweden staff from Fundraising and Awards Management Unit colleagues in Sweden.
- Collaborates closely with communications colleagues in the US and in the European offices.
- Interacts with Global Crisis & Response Communications team to leverage RESCUE’s country directors, country programme staff and technical unit colleagues for Swedish communications efforts.
- Works closely with counterparts in NGOs and relevant networks in Sweden.
Generating and maintaining strategic RESCUE positioning and messaging (20%)
- Work alongside global communications colleagues and Sweden digital communications manager, as well as Fundraising colleagues to develop appropriate messaging on key proactive and reactive issue areas across the scope of RESCUE’s work.
- Work with Sweden Executive Director to ensure alignment between strategic communications positioning with Sweden overall priorities.
- Collaborate with Digital communications and fundraising colleagues in Sweden to ensure pro/reactive message accuracy that engages audiences for proactive campaigns and news cycle opportunities.
- Keep the team updated on Swedish affairs
- Actively follow Swedish media for key or trending issues.
- Follow relevant political issues related to the above.
- Identify key issues and trends and highlight and prepare key partners.
PR activities and generating media coverage (70%)
- The Communications manager will increase the profile of RESCUE in Sweden by developing and executing communications strategies positioning RESCUE as a leader in our sector, and showcasing our programming solutions work around the world.
- The role will act as a key press contact and media liaison as well as generating effective media coverage as a vital part of RESCUE’s strategy to build its supporter and donor base in Sweden. The role also includes broader outreach and engagement including exploring influencer marketing and partnership opportunities.
- Based on global priorities and the Sweden context, this role will develop and deliver key communication messaging for Swedish audiences. The role collaborates with the Swedish Digital Communications manager to set priority communications themes for Sweden, and to ensure that we are coordinated across our media and digital output.
- The post folder will protect the reputation of the organisation by using their expert judgement to help enact strategies to minimise the risk of negative coverage and well as ensure media outputs protect beneficiaries, staff and programming from harm.
- Secure media coverage in target Swedish outlets in line with Sweden brand, income and advocacy objectives
- Develop communications plans, collaborate on cut-through policy/research products, write, edit and disseminate press releases, statements, op eds and briefings in conjunction with country staff and policy and advocacy colleagues.
- Lead on supporting and preparing spokespeople, board members, luminaries and other representatives for media interviews and programme visits across the organisation.
- Contribute to the development of content for distribution on RESCUE channels, and work closely with the wider team to ensure to successful development of topical and engaging outputs to showcase RESCUE’s global work to European audiences.
- Respond to journalist enquiries in a timely manner to meet external timelines; provide background information, arrange interviews and facilitate visits as required.
- Build expertise on current and potential issues in the humanitarian NGO arena through research and monitoring of national media, and competitors and in liaison with US colleagues.
- Be flexible as to working hours, in particular when unforeseen circumstances arise which require speedy responsiveness to media enquiries.
- Willingness to travel
External Relationship development (10%)
- Identify and form relationships with key journalists and media outlets in Sweden covering issues relevant to RESCUE, across print, broadcast, online and social media.
- Represent RESCUE externally and build close relationships with press counterparts within partner organisations, other NGOs and statutory donors that lead to opportunities to promote RESCUE in the media and among target audiences.
- Explore opportunities for media partnerships that can raise the profile of the RESCUE in Sweden.
- Create and maintain collaborations that generate visibility.
- Explore influencer and other channels for outreach to key audiences.
- Strong professional experience in communications or related field.
- Experience / knowledge of developing and implementing Media/PR strategies ranging from advocacy to marketing/PR
- Experience working in the humanitarian or development aid sector
- Experience from working in an international organisation.
- Knowledge of the Swedish media environment
- Experience in successful PR activation in connection with for example fundraising campaigns
- Experience of dealing with media enquiries into crisis or sensitive issues.
Skills and knowledge
- Creative problem solver who can find opportunities and collaborate internally to produce external products that cut through into media and meet strategic RESCUE objectives.
- Good contacts with key Swedish journalists and media outlets, and knowledge and ability to develop relationships quickly.
- Knowledge of key debates in Sweden and globally on humanitarian issues international aid
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills in Swedish; adept at writing clean, engaging, jargon-free copy for a range of channels. Excellent written and spoken English
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to establish positive working relationships with colleagues in Sweden as well as globally.
- Good organisational and time management skills and the ability to work to timelines, prioritise and multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- Experience working with digital teams and across digital campaigns.
- Experience as a journalist or PR professional
- Experience of influencer marketing and content partnerships.
- Experience of conducting media relations and communications opportunities in developing countries and critical contexts.
- Demonstrable ability in utilising online and other tools for monitoring media coverage is valuable
RESCUE and RESCUE workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the RESCUE Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Equality, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, RESCUE operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
The role is a full time position based in Stockholm, with six months probation. Our office is in Södermalm in a shared office space, but we are currently working remotely.
You will join a dynamic team in an exciting start up phase and will be part of crafting both the role and the way forward for RESCUE in Sweden.
Please note that the role requires excellent written and spoken Swedish, candidates without Swedish proficiency will not be considered for the post.
Candidates must have the right to work in Sweden.
The deadline for applications is midnight between Sunday 14th / Monday 15th March.
Interviews will take place the week commencing 22nd March.
RESCUE is committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination for all applicants and employees. RESCUE seeks to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce regardless of gender, race, religious belief, nationality, ethnic/national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
RESCUE welcomes applications from all candidates, including underrepresented groups and refugees who have the right to work in Sweden.
RESCUE will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable adjustments to participate in the job application and/or interview process, and for essential job functions if appointed to a role. Please contact us if you may need such adjustments.
If you have any questions or need assistance with the online recruitment process, please contact the HR team at [email protected]